Sunday, March 18, 2012

Flashy Fiction: An Excerpt to Insert

There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. I tried, I really did; and after a few short steps, I stopped in my tracks. The sight before me was incredible. Paper mache balls in colors of pink, yellow and orange decorated massive oak branches like ornaments on a Christmas tree. The lush green lawn was filled with rows of white chairs. As I stepped closer, I began to recognize the faces of his family and our friends.

What is going on? I wondered.

There was a light tap on my shoulder and with a turn of my head I saw him, the love of my life. We had been engaged for several months, but we knew the wedding would have to be put off until we were finished with our postgraduate studies. Money was tight and our time was limited.

“Surprise,” he said as he drew me near.

“What are you doing here?” I was away on a family reunion weekend that he couldn’t attend at the last minute because of a school project that came up.

He was smiling. “Do you have a few minutes to spare so you can become my wife? I don’t think I can wait another day.”

Before I knew it I was swept away by my mom and sister, taken to a room in the hotel lobby where the dress I had tried on last week waited for me. An hour later, I walked underneath the colorful decoration into the loving arms of the best man in the world- my husband. And we’re living happily ever after.

**

Click here to see the picture that goes with this story. I'd love it if you could contribute something for Flashy Fiction, too. 

No comments: